Everyone enjoys fresh fruit and mouth watering fruit dip and no matter how many parties I go to, they all seem to offer some form of fruit tray or salad. Fruit is the perfect side dish and it is appropriate for all parties including a baby shower.
You can offer the fruit in a dazzling design on a circular or square platter but why not make it dazzle more with a Watermelon Stroller.
What you will need:
- A large oblong watermelon
- Fresh Fruit (I like to purchase cantaloupe, strawberries, pineapple, grapes, orange slices, kiwi, honey dew and blueberries but choose any types of fruit that you enjoy. If you use apples or pears, make sure you only cut them a few minutes before you serve to avoid browning.)
- Toothpicks (or wooden skewers)
- Fruit dip (I personally use the store brand since they offer a very nice fruit dip and it means less work for me.)
Building your stroller:
* Chef’s Note: Make sure you wear an apron since the watermelon sprays when you are cleaning it out *
- Take your large watermelon and wash the skin. Allow it to dry.
- After it is dry, take a sharpie (a permanent marker) and draw the body of a stroller out on the watermelon.
- With a sharp knife, carefully cut out the stroller. Make sure you save a piece of the watermelon skin for the handle.
- Hollow out the watermelon with a spoon or melon baller and put some of the flesh to the side to place in the stroller.
- Clean and peal the other fruit.
- Slice the fruit (including some of the leftover watermelon) into bite sized pieces
- Carve the handle out of the remaining skin and attach it to your stroller with toothpicks. I find personally that wooden skewers cut to about 2 to 4 inches in length work much better in securing the handle)
- Thinly slice the oranges to form a wheel. Repeat until you have four wheels.
- Slice two grapes width ways and set aside.
- Place the stroller on the platter you are using.
- Attach the orange “wheels” with toothpicks (or as I have done in the photographs, wooden skewers) and cap the toothpicks with the sliced grapes.
- Finish off by adding the sliced fruit in the stroller. You could also mix the fruit and make a fruit salad to place inside the stroller. I like to sprinkle the blueberries over all the fruit rows.
- Place the dip in a decorative bowl and set beside the stroller.
Do you have a party recipe